Roasting hens may be substituted for the ducks in this recipe. We suggest trying one of each.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 2 Hours
- 3 (4- to 6-lb.) whole ducks
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 2 small oranges, quartered
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, quartered
- 3 parsley sprigs
- Kitchen string
- 1 (12-oz.) jar orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Garnishes: whole kumquats, fresh rosemary sprigs
- Remove giblet packages from ducks, and reserve for another use. Rinse ducks, and pat dry. Remove excess fat and skin. Rub ducks evenly with salt and pepper. Squeeze juice from 1 orange quarter into each duck cavity. Fill duck cavities with remaining orange quarters, onions, carrots, celery, and parsley sprigs. Prick legs and thighs with a fork, avoiding breast area. Place ducks, breast sides up, on a wire rack in an aluminum foil-lined shallow roasting pan. Tie legs together with kitchen string.
- Stir together orange marmalade and next 5 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until orange marmalade is melted. Remove and reserve 3/4 cup mixture.
- Bake ducks at 350° for 1 1/2 hours; brush evenly with orange sauce, and bake 25 to 30 more minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of thigh registers 180°. Garnish, if desired. Serve with reserved 3/4 cup orange mixture.
- Orange-Glazed Hens: Substitute 3 (5- to 7-lb.) whole chickens for ducks. Do not prick chickens. Proceed as directed. Bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours; brush evenly with orange glaze, and bake 30 more minutes. Brush with orange glaze; shield with aluminum foil. Bake 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of thigh registers 170°. Garnish, if desired. Serve with reserved 3/4 cup orange mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes