Luis uses a 10-inch, deep cake pan, which can be difficult to find. We used a common 12-cup Bundt pan with equally delicious results.
Yield: Makes 12 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind (about 1 large orange)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Fresh berries
- Mint leaves
- Sprinkle 1 cup sugar into a medium skillet. Place pan over medium heat, and cook, shaking pan often, until sugar melts and becomes a light golden brown syrup. Quickly pour syrup into a 12-cup Bundt pan, tilting to coat bottom and sides; set aside.
- Place whipping cream and vanilla in a large bowl. Process eggs and next 6 ingredients in a blender just until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides (do not over-process). Stir egg mixture into cream mixture.
- Pour custard over caramelized sugar in Bundt pan, and place in a large roasting pan on oven rack. Add hot water to roasting pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a knife inserted off center comes out almost clean. Remove Bundt pan from water. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Loosen edges of flan with a small spatula; invert onto a serving plate. Cut into serving pieces and top with sweetened whipped cream, berries, and mint, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note