Luis uses a 10-inch, deep cake pan, which can be difficult to find. We used a common 12-cup Bundt pan with equally delicious results.
Yield: Makes 12 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind (about 1 large orange)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Fresh berries
- Mint leaves
- Sprinkle 1 cup sugar into a medium skillet. Place pan over medium heat, and cook, shaking pan often, until sugar melts and becomes a light golden brown syrup. Quickly pour syrup into a 12-cup Bundt pan, tilting to coat bottom and sides; set aside.
- Place whipping cream and vanilla in a large bowl. Process eggs and next 6 ingredients in a blender just until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides (do not over-process). Stir egg mixture into cream mixture.
- Pour custard over caramelized sugar in Bundt pan, and place in a large roasting pan on oven rack. Add hot water to roasting pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a knife inserted off center comes out almost clean. Remove Bundt pan from water. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Loosen edges of flan with a small spatula; invert onto a serving plate. Cut into serving pieces and top with sweetened whipped cream, berries, and mint, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts