Notes: You can complete soup through step 4 up to 1 day ahead, then cover and chill. Reheat to continue. For a less costly version, omit the lobster tails and increase the shrimp to 1 1/2 pounds.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 442
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Protein: 55g
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Sodium: 1149mg
- Cholesterol: 158mg
- 1 head fennel (about 3 1/2 in. wide) with feathery green tops
- 1 pound leeks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (28 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves or dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered saffron (optional)
- 3 spiny or rock lobster tails (1/2 lb. each), thawed if frozen
- 1 pound boned, skinned halibut or swordfish, cut into 6 equal pieces
- 3/4 pound (30 to 35 per lb.) shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 12 clams in shells, suitable for steaming, scrubbed
- 12 mussels (about 3 in. each), beards pulled off, scrubbed
- 1. Trim off feathery fennel tops; rinse, drain, wrap airtight, and chill. Trim off and discard base of fennel head, any bruises, and tough stalks. Rinse and thinly slice fennel head.
- 2. Trim tough tops and roots from leeks; pull off coarse outer layers. Cut tender sections of leeks in half lengthwise, rinse well, and thinly slice.
- 3. In an 8- to 10-quart pan, combine fennel, leeks, garlic, and oil. Stir often over medium-high heat until vegetables are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4. Add tomatoes with juice, broth, clam juice, wine, bay leaves, thyme, orange peel, and saffron. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 5. Meanwhile, with scissors, cut fins and sharp spines from lobster tails. Also cut through top shells lengthwise down the center. Set each tail, underside down, on a board. With a heavy knife, slice tails in half lengthwise through cuts in shells. Rinse lobster tails, halibut, shrimp, and scallops.
- 6. Add lobster, halibut, and shrimp to tomato mixture. Discard any clams or mussels that do not close when shells are tapped. Add clams and mussels to pan; cover and cook 5 minutes. Add scallops. Cover and simmer until mussels and clams pop open, 3 to 5 more minutes.
- 7. Transfer cioppino to a tureen or ladle into wide bowls. Garnish with green fennel tops.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note