Orange Duck Breast Salad
Photo: Jan Smith
If the duck breasts you select are thicker than an inch, butterfly them first to make it easier to pound them thin and even. (See "Butterflying Basics.")
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 ounces duck and 2 cups greens mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 402
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Protein: 26.2g
- Carbohydrate: 51.6g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Iron: 9mg
- Sodium: 593mg
- Calcium: 158mg
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 pound boneless duck breast halves, thawed and skinned
- 4 cups cubed sourdough bread (about 7 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 10 cup mixed salad greens
- 1/3 cup pitted prunes, quartered
- 3 teaspoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 8 ingredients; stir well.
- Place each duck breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound each piece to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Place duck in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add half of juice mixture; seal and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Combine cubed bread and oil; toss well. Arrange bread on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes, stirring once. Set aside.
- Remove duck from bag; discard marinade. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add duck; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from pan. Cut duck into 1/4-inch slices.
- Combine toasted bread cubes, greens, prunes, and walnuts in a large bowl. Drizzle with remaining half of juice mixture; toss well. Divide greens mixture evenly among 4 plates. Top with duck slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note