- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
How to Make It
Stir together buttermilk and soda until blended.
Beat 1 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add brown sugar, beating well. Stir in buttermilk mixture, eggs, and next 5 ingredients until blended. Spoon batter into greased muffin pans filling two-thirds full.
Bake at 350° for 20 to 23 minutes. Remove from pans immediately, and cool on wire racks.
Stir together powdered sugar, orange juice, and melted butter until smooth; drizzle glaze evenly over muffins.
Note: Batter may be covered tightly and stored in the refrigerator up to 24 hours.