Orange Cream-filled Honey Lace Crisps
Time: 45 minutes. These cookies look delicate but are extremely forgiving to work with—and here's a trick: If they begin to stiffen, put them back in the oven for a minute to rewarm and loosen up. The cream will start to soften them immediately, so fill just before serving.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 142
- Calories from fat: 70%
- Protein: 0.7g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 25mg
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup local honey
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan, melt butter with honey over medium heat. Add sugar and salt and whisk until well combined. Add flour and continue to whisk until no lumps remain. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Line 2 flat rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon 1 heaping tsp. honey mixture onto sheets about 4 in. apart (they will spread a lot).
- 3. Bake until dark golden brown and small holes appear throughout, 10 to 12 minutes. Keep oven on. Let cool on tray until starting to firm up, 2 to 3 minutes. While cookies cool, use a paring knife to separate any cookies that have melted together and to shape each into a circle. Working in batches of 3 or 4, carefully peel cookies off paper and form into a small cylinder shape around handle of a wooden spoon, holding until firm (a few seconds), and sliding off when cool. If cookies firm up before you can shape them, put baking sheet back in oven to warm slightly, about 1 minute.
- 4. Whisk together cream, sugar, and zest until firm peaks form. Fill a large resealable plastic bag with cream, then snip a 1/4-in. hole in 1 corner. Pipe cream into cookie cylinder from each end. Serve immediately.
- Make ahead: Up to 1 day; store airtight.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per crisp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note