Orange Chiffon Cake with Orange Icebox Pie Filling
We used frozen orange juice concentrate--scooped right out of the can--in this cake's filling to deliver the greatest depth of flavor.
Yield: Makes 12 to 16 servings
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Orange Icebox Pie Filling
- Orange Buttercream Frosting
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a mixing bowl. Make a well in center of flour mixture; add oil, egg yolks, and orange juice. Beat at medium-high speed with an electric mixer 3 to 4 minutes or until smooth. Stir in rind.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into flour mixture. Spoon batter evenly into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on racks.
- Spread Orange Icebox Pie Filling evenly between layers and on top of cake. Cover cake, and chill at least 4 hours.
- Spread Orange Buttercream Frosting evenly around sides. (Cake may be frozen up to 1 month completely assembled.)
- Note: Cake batter may be baked in 3 (10-inch) round cakepans or 2 (13- x 9-inch) baking pans for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note