This was unexpectedly good. I had pomegranate seeds on hand which was a time-saver, but it was still a fair bit of work zesting, juicing and sectioning the clementines, which I used in place of oranges. I was wondering if it would be worth all the effort, but I put everything together and tasted it, and wow! I think the toasted pine nuts add a lot of the flavor. We ate this lukewarm (a little wierd), but heated or cold I think this would still be good. I served this alongside CL Pan-Roasted Chicken Cutlets with Maple-Mustard Dill Sauce (November 2006), and I would probably make it again.
Orange-Basmati Salad with Pine Nuts and Pomegranate Seeds
Although best served immediately, this dish can be covered and chilled for a couple of hours. Try it with roast chicken. Pomegranate juice stains, so be careful when extracting the seeds. Here's our favorite way to seed a pomegranate: Carefully cut the fruit in half, submerge in a large bowl of water, and slowly turn the shell inside out to dislodge the seeds.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 225
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 393mg
- Calcium: 35mg
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups orange sections (about 3 oranges)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice and 3/4 teaspoon salt; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff rice with a fork. Cool completely.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, vinegar, and next 4 ingredients (vinegar through pepper), stirring with a whisk. Combine rice, vinegar mixture, orange sections, and remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note