Out of all the orange juices to choose from at the grocery store, we prefer Valencia varieties for this recipe. It has a rich, vibrant color. Regular orange juice will work, but expect a greenish tint.
More From Southern Living
Freeze: 6 Hours
Stand: 10 Minutes
- Calories: 68
- Fat: 0.0g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 16.5g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.1mg
- Sodium: 13mg
- Calcium: 3mg
- 3 cups Valencia orange juice
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon honey*
- Garnish: fresh basil leaves
- 1. Process 1/2 cup orange juice and basil leaves in a blender or food processor 10 seconds. Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a 4-cup glass measuring cup; add remaining 2 1/2 cups orange juice. Stir in honey.
- 2. Divide mixture between 2 zip-top plastic freezer bags. Place bags on a jelly-roll pan. Freeze 6 hours or until firm. Remove bags from freezer, and let stand 10 minutes. Break mixture into small chunks using hands.
- 3. Process chunks, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve immediately. Garnish, if desired.
- *1 Tbsp. (3 packets) no-calorie sweetener, such as Splenda, may be substituted.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Tropicana Pure Valencia Orange Juice.
- Pineapple-Basil Ice: Substitute pineapple juice for Valencia orange juice. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Per serving: Calories 77; Fat 0.2g (sat 0g, mono 0 g, poly 0.1g); Protein 0.5g; Carb 19g; Fiber 0.3g; Chol 0mg; Iron 0.5mg; Sodium 3mg; Calc 19mg.
- Fresh Orange-Basil Ice: Substitute fresh orange juice for Valencia orange juice. Omit honey. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Per serving: Calories 56; Fat 0.3g (sat 0g, mono 0.1 g, poly 0.1g); Protein 0.9g; Carb 13g; Fiber 0.3g; Chol 0mg; Iron 0.3mg; Sodium 1mg; Calc 16mg.
- White Grape-Mint Ice: Substitute white grape juice for orange juice and fresh mint leaves for basil leaves. Omit honey. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Per serving: Calories 50; Fat 0.1g (sat 0g, mono 0 g, poly 0g); Protein 0.7g; Carb 11.7g; Fiber 0.4g; Chol 0mg; Iron 0.7mg; Sodium 2mg; Calc 19mg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note