It's unclear as to whether the recipe is for four 1-pound bulbs or for four bulbs totaling 1 pound.
Orange-Balsamic Caramelized Fennel
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 47
- Calories from fat: 8%
- Fat: 0.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 10.5g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 238mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- 4 (1-pound) fennel bulbs with stalks, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1. Cut each fennel bulb in half through root end; cut each half into quarters to form 32 total pieces. Chop 1 tablespoon fronds; reserve.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place 8 fennel pieces in a single layer in pan; sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove fennel from pan; recoat pan with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining fennel and sugar.
- 3. Return fennel to pan. Stir in broth and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 38 minutes or until fennel is crisp-tender and liquid is almost evaporated, turning occasionally. Top with reserved fennel fronds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables