It's unclear as to whether the recipe is for four 1-pound bulbs or for four bulbs totaling 1 pound.
Orange-Balsamic Caramelized Fennel
This tasty side dish is perfect for busy cooks since it's mostly hands-free. The flavors pair well with roast pork or poultry.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 47
- Calories from fat: 8%
- Fat: 0.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 10.5g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 238mg
- Calcium: 62mg
- 4 (1-pound) fennel bulbs with stalks, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1. Cut each fennel bulb in half through root end; cut each half into quarters to form 32 total pieces. Chop 1 tablespoon fronds; reserve.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place 8 fennel pieces in a single layer in pan; sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove fennel from pan; recoat pan with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining fennel and sugar.
- 3. Return fennel to pan. Stir in broth and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 38 minutes or until fennel is crisp-tender and liquid is almost evaporated, turning occasionally. Top with reserved fennel fronds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This