Orange-Apricot Sweet Bread
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 304
- Calories from fat: 47%
- Protein: 3.7g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 9.8g
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 224mg
- Cholesterol: 92mg
- About 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine
- About 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hulled cardamom seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- About 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots
- 1. In a bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter, 2/3 cup sugar, and cardamom with a mixer until fluffy. Add orange peel, egg, egg yolk, and sour cream. Beat to mix well.
- 2. Stir together soda, baking powder, 1 cup flour, and diced apricots. Add to butter mixture and stir until evenly blended.
- 3. Butter and flour-dust a 5- to 6-cup baking pan or paper baking mold (5 in. wide, 3 in. deep; 7 in. wide, 2 1/2 in. deep; 4 1/2- by 8 1/2 -in. loaf pan; or 8-in. square or round cake pan).
- 4. Scrape batter into pan and spread level. If using smaller molds, fill no more than 1/3 full. (You'll have about 1 1/2 cups batter.)
- 5. Sprinkle batter evenly (in one or more pans) with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- 6. Bake on rack slightly below center in a 350° oven until bread springs back when lightly pressed in center, and just begins to pull from pan sides, 35 to 40 minutes for the whole loaf, less for smaller portions.
- 7. Let cool on a rack. Serve warm or cool, inverted from pan, then turned top side up.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads