Orange-Almond Rich 'n' Thick Hot Chocolate
This is a luxurious, unexpected offering for dessert. Take it over the top with a dollop of Marshmallow Whipped Cream. Find the chocolate bars on the candy aisle at the grocery store. Traditional hot chocolate recipes usually call for arrowroot as a thickener, but we used the more common cornstarch.
More From Southern Living
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 cups milk, divided
- 2 (3.5-oz.) dark chocolate bars (at least 70% cacao), chopped
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons almond liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Marshmallow Whipped Cream (optional)
- 1. Whisk together cornstarch and 1/2 cup milk until smooth.
- 2. Cook remaining 3 1/2 cups milk in a large, nonaluminum saucepan over medium heat until bubbles appear around edge of saucepan (about 4 minutes; do not boil). Whisk in chocolate, honey, orange juice, almond liqueur, vanilla extract, and salt until blended and smooth. Whisk in cornstarch mixture.
- 3. Bring milk mixture to a light boil, whisking frequently (about 4 minutes). Remove from heat. Let cool slightly. (Mixture will thicken as it cools.) Serve immediately with Marshmallow Whipped Cream, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Ghirardelli Intense Dark Twilight Delight 72% Cacao dark chocolate bar and Amaretto for almond liqueur.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note