- 1 (19 1/2-oz.) package Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 (8-oz.) package fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (15 1/2-oz.) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12-oz.) French bread loaf
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- calories 360
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 13.3 g
- satfat 4.4 g
- monofat 1.1 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 23.1 g
- carbohydrate 37.2 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 60 mg
- iron 3.9 mg
- sodium 1269 mg
- calcium 148 mg
How to Make It
Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Add mushrooms and bell pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 5 minutes. Stir in next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400°. Cut bread in half lengthwise. Place bread, cut side up, on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 5 to 6 minutes until toasted.
Spoon sausage mixture onto toasted bread, and sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 400° for 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Jennie-O Sweet Lean Italian Turkey Sausage.