- 1 dozen small, shucked oysters, drained (1/2 pint)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup Japanese breadcrumbs*
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 (3.2-ounce) packages shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 cups coarsely shredded cooked turkey (white and dark meat)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 large croissants (about 2 ounces each), split and toasted
- Garnishes: tarragon sprigs, lemon wedges
How to Make It
Pat oysters dry with paper towels; dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Dip each oyster in egg; coat with breadcrumbs.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add oysters. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden; drain on paper towels, and keep warm. (Do not wipe out skillet.)
Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium-high heat; add shallots and mushrooms. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add sherry, scraping any brown bits from bottom of skillet; simmer 1 minute. Add cream; simmer 2 minutes. Add turkey and next 3 ingredients. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until turkey is heated through and sauce thickens. Spoon mixture over toasted croissant halves, and top with oysters. Garnish, if desired.
*For testing purposes, we used Panko breadcrumbs.
This dish is also delicious without the oysters, if desired.