- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (1- to 1 1/2-inch-thick) rustic bread slices*
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 1 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint (optional)
How to Make It
Sprinkle tomato slices evenly with salt and pepper; set aside.
Brush both sides of bread slices with olive oil.
Grill bread, without grill lid, over medium heat (300° to 350°) 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
Grill onion, covered with grill lid, over high heat (400° to 500°) 8 to 10 minutes on each side or until tender and browned.
Stir together mayonnaise and pesto; spread evenly on 1 side of each bread slice. Top evenly with tomato and onion slices; sprinkle with olives. Sprinkle with mint, if desired.
* 4 (1-inch thick) French bread slices may be substituted.