- 6 cups water
- 2 pounds medium-size fresh shrimp*
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise**
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 (4- x 2-inch) cornbread wedges, split
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 head Bibb lettuce
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
How to Make It
Bring 6 cups water to a boil, and add shrimp; cook 3 to 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Drain and rinse in cold water.
Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Chop.
Stir together mayonnaise and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl; add shrimp. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Brush cornbread evenly with melted butter; place on a baking sheet.
Broil 5 inches from heat 3 minutes or until toasted.
Layer each cornbread slice with lettuce and tomato, and top with shrimp mixture.
*Medium-size frozen cooked shrimp, thawed, may be substituted.
**Light mayonnaise may be substituted for regular mayonnaise.