Absolutely delicious. Didn't have shallots, so I used chives. Was still fantastic. Loved the mushrooms - even on their own! Fresh basil on top was the "cherry."
Open-Faced Sandwiches with Mushrooms and Fried Eggs
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Mary Clayton Carl
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 378
- Fat: 19.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 20.4g
- Carbohydrate: 31.6g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Cholesterol: 198mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 623mg
- Calcium: 234mg
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 teaspoons refrigerated pesto
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) slices multigrain bread
- 2 ounces grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 large eggs
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices beefsteak tomato
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 2/3 cup shallots; cook 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add wine, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and salt; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring occasionally. Remove mushroom mixture from pan; keep warm.
- 2. Return pan to medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add remaining 1/3 cup shallots; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove shallots from pan; keep warm.
- 3. Preheat broiler to high.
- 4. Spread 2 teaspoons pesto over one side of each bread slice. Top each slice with about 2 tablespoons cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts; keep warm.
- 5. Return pan to medium heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Crack eggs into pan, and cook 4 minutes or until whites are set.
- 6. Top each bread slice with 2 tomato slices. Divide mushroom mixture evenly among bread slices, and top each serving with 1 egg. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, shallots, and basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note