Open-Faced Philly Sandwiches
This recipe is great by itself, but you could add a salad or home fries for a side dish.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 15 Minutes
Broil: 3 Minutes
- 2 (8-inch) submarine rolls, unsliced
- 1/2 pound boneless top round steak
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2 (3/4-ounce) slices provolone cheese
- Make a 1 1/2- to 2-inch deep vertical cut around outside edge of each roll, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Remove tops of rolls, and discard. Hollow out about 1 1/2 inches of each bread roll, forming a boat. Set boats aside.
- Cut steak diagonally across grain into 1/8-inch-thick strips; place in a small shallow bowl. Add dressing and crushed red pepper, tossing to coat; set aside.
- Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and mushrooms, and sauté 15 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Add bell pepper, and sauté 8 to 10 minutes or until bell pepper is tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Remove mixture from skillet, and set aside.
- Stir-fry steak mixture in skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes or until steak strips are no longer pink.
- Fill bread boats evenly with layers of steak mixture and onion mixture; top with cheese.
- Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat 3 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note