These are incredible. I added a small squeeze of lemon and some dill to the tzatziki. I also used yellow pepper as that is what I had on hand, and 1 whole egg. The family devoured it. It maybe loses half a point for being a little messy. I think next time I'll serve the cake on some salad greens and have the bread on the side.
Open-Faced Crab Cake Sandwiches with Tzatziki
Photo: Jason Wallis; Styling: Cindy Barr
Sustainable Choice. Look for trotline-caught blue crab meat.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 323
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 24.5g
- Carbohydrate: 34.8g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 748mg
- Calcium: 90mg
- 6 tablespoons plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt, divided
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped English cucumber
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), divided
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 4 red leaf lettuce leaves
- 1. Combine 1/4 cup yogurt, cucumber, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl; set yogurt mixture aside.
- 2. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons yogurt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/3 cup panko, bell pepper, onions, dill, rind, juice, salt, and egg white in a medium bowl. Gently stir in crab. Divide crab mixture into 4 equal portions (about 1/2 cup each), shaping each into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Place remaining 1/3 cup panko in a shallow dish. Dredge patties in panko.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Top each bread slice with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 patty, and about 2 tablespoons reserved yogurt mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note