This is a great sandwich - though, as others have suggested, toasting the bread and doubling the sauce is a must. The sauce is tasty, though the predominant flavor is definitely the dijon. I would 100% toast the bread in the future, as the bread was soggy and difficult to pick up given the weight of the ingredients on top. Shallots are a great stand-in for the onions, and I used aged swiss since that's all I had - more of a pronounced flavor but very tasty. Would make again!
Open-Faced Chicken and Muenster Sandwiches with Apricot-Dijon Spread
Photo: Beau Gustafson; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 440
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 13.2g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 38.7g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 750mg
- Calcium: 286mg
- 4 teaspoons apricot preserves
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 (2-ounce) slices country bread
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled Ambrosia or Fuji apple (about 1/3 pound)
- 1/4 cup prechopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups bagged prewashed spinach
- 2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast (about 12 ounces)
- 4 (1-ounce) Muenster cheese slices
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Combine preserves and mustard in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Spread 1 side of each bread slice with 2 teaspoons mustard mixture. Place bread slices, mustard mixture side up, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add apple and onion to pan; cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach begins to wilt. Layer each of 4 bread slices with 1/4 cup spinach mixture, 1/2 cup chicken, and 1 cheese slice. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; broil 1 1/2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from heat, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This