I found this recipe fairly tasty...all the other recipes out there, I would not repeat this one. It was still ok, but I've had much better.
Open-Faced Beef Sandwiches with Greens and Horseradish Cream
Texas toast—sometimes labeled grill, griddle, or French toast bread—is the thick-sliced fresh bread available in many supermarkets. You can substitute a (1.4-ounce) slice of Italian or French bread. Since bread is typically high in sodium, serving a sandwich open-faced cuts down on the mineral. Salting the beef a bit before broiling adds a little flavor; we save the rest of the salt to season the meat after it's sliced.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 383
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 29.5g
- Carbohydrate: 36.5g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 543mg
- Calcium: 186mg
- Horseradish cream:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons drained prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- Cooking spray
- 3 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion (about 2 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups trimmed arugula
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) slices Texas toast, lightly toasted
- 1. To prepare cream, combine horseradish, sour cream, and crème fraîche in a small bowl; cover and chill.
- 2. Preheat broiler.
- 3. To prepare sandwich, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and 1/8 teaspoon salt to pan; cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Uncover and cook 10 minutes or until onion is golden brown.
- 4. Sprinkle steak with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Combine steak and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl, and toss to coat.
- 5. Combine arugula, oil, and vinegar in a medium bowl; toss gently. Spread 2 tablespoons horseradish cream over each bread slice; top each with about 1/3 cup onion, 1/2 cup arugula mixture, and 3 ounces of steak.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note