The tomatoes turn out fabulous! I add a bit of cajun seasoning to the cornmeal/flour mixure. Also, use turkey bacon. In the end, I add bit more hot sauce for extra kick, and serve on a grilled slice of bread. Very tasty!
Open-Faced Bacon, Lettuce, and Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches
Double-breading the tomato slices gives them a crunchy coating. Soaking the tomatoes in hot water draws out their moisture, which helps keep them crisp when cooked. On their own, the fried green tomatoes in this recipe are a classic Southern side dish.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 386
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 12.2g
- Carbohydrate: 56.2g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 834mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 2 medium green tomatoes, cut into 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 6 (1 1/2-ounce) slices white bread, toasted
- 6 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 9 bacon slices, cooked and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Place tomato slices in a large bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Combine milk and egg whites, stirring with a whisk. Combine cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish, stirring with a whisk. Dip each tomato slice in milk mixture; dredge in cornmeal mixture. Return tomato slices, one at a time, to milk mixture; dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of tomato slices; cook 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and tomato slices.
- Combine mayonnaise, juice, and hot sauce, stirring with a whisk. Spread about 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture onto each bread slice; top with 1 lettuce leaf, 3 bacon pieces, and 2 tomato slices. Sprinkle each sandwich with 1 teaspoon chives. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note