Open-Face Ham-and-Egg Sandwich
Photo: Laurey W. Glenn; Styling: Leigh Anne Montgomery
More From Southern Living
Stand: 2 Minutes
- 1/2 (5-oz.) package arugula, thoroughly washed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) crusty Italian bread or ciabatta slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 8 thin slices smoked ham (about 1/2 lb.)
- 4 thin slices sharp provolone cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Toss together first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- 2. Brush melted butter on 1 side of each bread slice. Place bread slices, buttered sides down, on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 14 minutes, turning once after 8 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Gently break eggs into hot skillet, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until whites are almost set. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 1 to 2 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are cooked to desired degree of doneness.
- 5. Top each bread slice with 2 ham slices and 1 cheese slice. Broil 6 inches from heat 2 minutes or until cheese begins to melt.
- 6. Top each sandwich with 1/3 to 1/2 cup arugula mixture and 1 fried egg.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette and Boar's Head Black Forest Smoked Ham.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch