- 1/2 (5-oz.) package arugula, thoroughly washed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) crusty Italian bread or ciabatta slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 8 thin slices smoked ham (about 1/2 lb.)
- 4 thin slices sharp provolone cheese
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. Toss together first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl.
Brush melted butter on 1 side of each bread slice. Place bread slices, buttered sides down, on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
Bake at 350° for 14 minutes, turning once after 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Gently break eggs into hot skillet, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until whites are almost set. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 1 to 2 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are cooked to desired degree of doneness.
Top each bread slice with 2 ham slices and 1 cheese slice. Broil 6 inches from heat 2 minutes or until cheese begins to melt.
Top each sandwich with 1/3 to 1/2 cup arugula mixture and 1 fried egg.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette and Boar's Head Black Forest Smoked Ham.