Open-face Caprese Sandwiches
Photo: Annabelle Breakey
Time: 25 minutes. All the ingredients of the classic summer salad go into these terrific grilled sandwiches.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 605
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 30g
- Fat: 0.0g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Sodium: 820mg
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 slices (about 1/2 in. thick) crusty Italian bread
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
- 16 medium basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Prepare a grill for medium heat (350° to 450°). Combine 1 tbsp. oil and the garlic and brush onto 1 side of bread.
- 2. Lay bread oiled side down on grill and cook until slightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Turn bread over, lay tomato slices on bread to fit, overlapping if needed, then lay cheese slices over tomatoes. Cover grill and cook until cheese starts to melt, about 4 minutes.
- 3. Transfer sandwiches to a platter. Put 2 basil leaves over each sandwich and drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp. oil and the vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note