- 1 (19.5-oz.) package sweet ground turkey sausage, casings removed*
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes in sauce
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped**
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt-free garlic-and-herb seasoning
- 1 (24-oz.) package refrigerated garlic-flavored mashed potatoes
- 1 (8-oz.) package shredded Italian five-cheese blend
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup French fried onions
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 6 to 8 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in tomatoes and next 3 ingredients, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Transfer sausage mixture to a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
Stir together mashed potatoes, cheese, and Italian seasoning in a large bowl. (Mixture will be dry.) Spread potato mixture over sausage mixture in baking dish.
Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly. Top with fried onions, and bake 5 more minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
*1 (1 1/4-lb.) package ground chicken sausage may be substituted.
**1/2 tsp. dried basil may be substituted.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Bob Evans Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend.