I've made this a couple times, once with brisket and once with chuck roast. I preferred with the chuck because the brisket was so fatty and greasy in spite of trying to trim a lot of the fat off. I brown the meat in the dutch oven prior to cooking though the instructions don't mention that. And just because I prefer them over potatoes, I used carrots, rutabagas and parsnips. This is a really easy and tasty dish.
Onion-Smothered Roast Brisket and Vegetables
A meat-and-three classic, this dish puts meat and potatoes squarely in the center of the plate, yet leaves room for more.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3 ounces beef, 1 cup vegetables, and 1/3 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 361
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 29.2g
- Carbohydrate: 35.8g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 682mg
- Calcium: 55mg
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) beef brisket
- 6 cups thinly sliced onion, separated into rings
- 1 cup bottled chili sauce
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch-thick pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 6), quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper (such as Lawry's)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Trim fat from brisket. Place brisket in a large roasting pan; top with onion. Combine chili sauce, beer, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce; pour over onion. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir onion into cooking liquid. Arrange the carrots and potatoes around brisket; spoon cooking liquid over vegetables. Sprinkle seasoned salt and garlic pepper over meat and vegetables. Cover and bake an additional 1 1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Cut brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Arrange the beef and vegetables in each of 8 shallow bowls, and serve with sauce.
- Note: If you don't have a large roasting pan, cut brisket in half, and place in a large Dutch oven.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note