Meh. The omelet has an odd consistency (sort of spongy) due to the flour, and the large amount of caramelized onions gave it a sweetish taste. I was hoping for a more savory taste, and even added extra fresh herbs (rosemary, basil, jalapeno). The salad was good, but anything sprinkled with goat cheese is good! Overall, this was a fairly disappointing dish. I won't make it again.
Onion and Fresh Herb Omelet with Mixed Greens
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr
Add whole fresh strawberries and whole wheat toast for an easy weekend brunch or light supper during the week.
Yield: 2 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 291
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 33.8g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 507mg
- Calcium: 189mg
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce)
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 cups loosely packed gourmet salad greens
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sliced almonds, toasted
- To prepare omelet, combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add flour to egg mixture; stir well.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 7 minutes or until browned. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Pour egg mixture over onion mixture in pan. Reduce heat, and cook 3 minutes or until set. Loosen omelet with a spatula, and fold in half; cook 1 minute. Cut omelet in half; place one half on each of 2 plates.
- To prepare salad, combine salad greens, vinegar, and oil; toss well. Arrange 1 1/2 cups greens on top of each serving; top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese and 3/4 teaspoon almonds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note