I usually make a baked macaroni and cheese, but was looking for a quick basic recipe to make for my picky 11-month-old son. This was great! Mr. Picky loved it and so did I. I did add 1/2 tsp of dry mustard to the cheese sauce. I'm sure I'll be making this often!
One-Pot Macaroni and Cheese
More From Southern Living
- 1 (8-oz.) package elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (8-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Keep warm.
- 2. Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in salt, black and red pepper, and shredded cheese until melted. Add cooked pasta, and serve immediately.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Kraft Sharp Cheddar Cheese. To lighten, 2% reduced-fat milk and reduced-fat cheese may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes