Brussel sprouts?!? Never!! But, in this dish they are absolutely delicious. So much flavor from so few ingredients, in so few dishes, with such a short prep/cooking time. The red potatoes, garlic, shallots, and carrots were roasted to perfection. The brussel sprouts were amazing, with just a bit of a crunch but buttery tasting at the same time. Highly recommend this wonderful dish.
One - Pan Roasted Chicken and Root Vegetables
Cooks Country Feb/March 2012 http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/One-Pan-Roast-Chicken-with-Root-Vegetables/32806/?_auth_token=YTh6dd8H1MkdJgolkrLuqefhGxJftCe7UT1pFmdL7yuoirgfUFYk6y4PCfnEqYdbAT5c%2ffhVp0BeP9aLrzDkqp3%2bbt0My2GrAk7m8Xs%2bKC8%2b2j6eonVrRehTTiJkZm0gIGlFgejyl07QTilZYqqIeg%3d%3d
Yield: 4 servings
Community Recipe from
- One-Pan Roast Chicken with Root Vegetables
- February/March 2012
- My FavoritesShopping ListPrintE-mail
- WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- Cooking vegetables and chicken together in the same pan often leads to unevenly cooked chicken and greasy, soggy vegetables. To get the chicken and vegetables to cook at the same rate, we used chicken parts, which contain less overall fat than a whole chicken and don’t smother the vegetables underneath, which would cause them to steam. To ensure that the delicate white meat stayed moist while the darker meat cooked through, we placed the chicken breasts in the center of the pan, with the thighs and drumsticks around the perimeter. A similar treatment for the vegetables—leafy Brussels sprouts in the middle, hardier potatoes and carrots on the outside—also proved effective.
- Serves 4
- We halve the chicken breasts crosswise for even cooking. Use Brussels sprouts no bigger than golf balls, as larger ones are often tough and woody.
- 3/4pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 3/4pound red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2pound shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces, thick ends halved lengthwise
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 1/2pounds bone-in chicken pieces (2 split breasts cut in half crosswise, 2 drumsticks, and 2 thighs), trimmed
- 1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Toss Brussels sprouts, potatoes, shallots, carrots, garlic, 2 teaspoons thyme, oil, 1 teaspoon rosemary, sugar, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper together in bowl. Combine butter, remaining 2 teaspoons thyme, remaining 1 teaspoon rosemary, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in second bowl; set aside.
- 2. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Place vegetables in single layer on rimmed baking sheet, arranging Brussels sprouts in center. Place chicken, skin side up, on top of vegetables, arranging breast pieces in center and leg and thigh pieces around perimeter of sheet.
- 3. Brush chicken with herb butter and roast until breasts register 160 degrees and drumsticks/thighs -register 175 degrees, 35 to 40 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking. Transfer chicken to serving platter, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Toss vegetables in pan juices and transfer to platter with chicken. Serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by batesballard22 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
One - Pan Roasted Chicken and Root Vegetables Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes