- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and diced (1/2 in.)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces Asian eggplant, rinsed and diced (3/4 in.)
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound red, yellow, and/or orange bell peppers, rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and diced (1/2 in.)
- 8 ounces zucchini, rinsed, ends trimmed, and diced (1/2 in.)
- 8 ounces yellow summer squash, rinsed, ends trimmed, and diced (1/2 in.)
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- calories 215
- caloriesfromfat 46 %
- protein 5.6 g
- fat 11 g
- satfat 1.5 g
- carbohydrate 28 g
- fiber 6.4 g
- sodium 634 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
In a 12-inch frying pan with sides at least 2 inches tall, or a 5- to 6-quart pan, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and stir frequently until onion is limp, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes (with juice), eggplant, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is soft when pierced, about 10 minutes.
Stir in bell peppers, zucchini, and yellow squash. Return to a simmer, cover, and cook until squash is tender when pierced, 8 to 10 minutes longer.
Stir in basil and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil. Add more salt and pepper to taste.