One-Pan Broccoli-Bacon Mac 'n' Cheese
- 2 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen butternut squash puree, thawed
- 10 ounce uncooked large elbow macaroni
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (about 1 1/4 cups)
- calories 339
- fat 10 g
- satfat 5.7 g
- monofat 2.8 g
- polyfat 0.7 g
- protein 18 g
- carbohydrate 45 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 29 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 566 mg
- calcium 267 mg
How to Make It
1 Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook 4 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan.
Remove all but 2 teaspoons bacon drippings from pan. Add garlic to drippings in pan; sauté 30 seconds.
Add stock, milk, and squash to pan; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Add pasta; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in broccoli; cover and cook 3 minutes or until pasta is done and sauce is thickened.
5 Stir in salt, pepper, and 4 ounces cheese. Sprinkle bacon and remaining cheese on top. Cover; let stand 1 minute.