- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 6 (3/4-inch-thick) pork chops (about 2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons regular rice, uncooked and divided
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and sliced into rings
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/4 cup water
How to Make It
Melt shortening in a large skillet over medium heat.
Sprinkle pork chops with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 /4 teaspoon pepper, and brown on both sides in oil . Drain chops on paper towels, and pour off remaining grease in skillet.
Return pork chops to skillet. Place 1 tablespoon rice and 1 slice tomato, onion, and green pepper on each. Cover layers with tomato juice and water. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover and bring to a boil . Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Transfer chops to a serving platter, and serve immediately.