Olives and peppers on a pick with scallion vinaigrette
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 lemon
- Olives & Peppers on a Pick with Scallion Vinaigrette
- by Sarah Jay
- Be the first to rate this Recipe
- These little skewers are good with just olives and peppers, or you can add a third element, such as pickled onions or feta.
- Serves eight.
- Yields about 40 skewers.
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small scallion, white and light green parts very thinly sliced (to yield 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. seeded, minced red serrano chile or jalapeño
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 7 jarred piquillo peppers or 2 jarred roasted red peppers
- 40 small pitted green olives (from about a 2-1/2-oz. jar)
- 40 pickled sour cocktail onions (from about two 3-1/2-fl oz. jars) (optional)
- 12 oz. feta (creamy feta holds together better than dry, crumbly feta), cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes (optional)
- Finely grate enough of the lemon zest to get 1/4 tsp. packed zest. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze to get 2 Tbs. of juice. Put the zest and juice in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive oil, scallion, thyme, chile, and salt and pepper to taste. Let the vinaigrette sit for at least 20 min. (or up to 12 hours in the fridge; bring to room temperature before using) to meld the flavors and soften the scallion.
- Cut the peppers lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strands, then cut the strands in half crosswise—you’ll need 40 pieces of pepper. Fold a piece of pepper in half and thread it onto a toothpick. Spear an olive onto the pick. Then spear either an onion or a cube of feta on the end, if using. Set the pick in a shallow serving dish. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. If not serving right away, refrigerate
- About 30 minutes before serving, give the vinaigrette a good whisk to emulsify as best you can, then drizzle it over the olive picks.
- nutrition information (per serving):
- Size : based on eight servings; Calories (kcal): 200; Fat (g): 17; Fat Calories (kcal): 150; Saturated Fat (g): 7; Protein (g): 6; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 8; Carbohydrates (g): 5; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 1; Sodium (mg): 840; Cholesterol (mg): 40; Fiber (g): 1;
- photo: Scott Phillips
- From Fine Cooking 81 , pp. 78
This recipe is a personal recipe added by sarahshaeffer and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Olives and peppers on a pick with scallion vinaigrette Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers