We love these- even 5 years after the recipe was printed it is still a 'go to' and few recipes have stood that test of time in our family. Amazing blend of flavors, easy enough to serve quickly and impressive enough to serve guests.
Olive-Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Tomato, basil, and olives are surrounded by melted cheese in this update of a classic lunch or light dinner.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 353
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 11.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 15.1g
- Carbohydrate: 47.4g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 827mg
- Calcium: 283mg
- 8 (1/2-ounce) slices provolone cheese
- 8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons olive spread (such as Lindsay Olivada)
- 16 large basil leaves
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- Cooking spray
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- To prepare each sandwich, place 1 cheese slice on 1 bread slice. Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons olive spread over cheese. Top with 4 basil leaves, 2 tomato slices, 1 cheese slice, and 1 bread slice. Repeat procedure with remaining bread, cheese, olive spread, basil, and tomato.
- Lightly coat outside of bread with cooking spray. Add 2 sandwiches to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat procedure with remaining sandwiches.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note