Olive Oil Cake with Summer Fruit
Photo: Coral Von Zumwalt
More From Sunset
2 Hours, 25 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 508
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Protein: 4.8g
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 70g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sodium: 225mg
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup mild extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lightly packed lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Campfire-Glazed Peaches and Figs
- Sweetened whipped cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Butter a 10-in. round and 2-in.-deep cake pan. Set a piece of parchment paper, cut to fit, inside, then butter parchment and dust pan with flour. Set aside.
- 2. Beat eggs in a large bowl with a mixer, using the whisk attachment, until frothy. Gradually add sugar and beat on high speed until mixture is pale and leaves a ribbon when you lift whisk, 6 to 8 minutes; scrape bowl halfway through.
- 3. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Whisk milk, oil, and lemon zest and juice together in a large measuring cup.
- 4. Add one-third of dry ingredients, then half of wet ingredients to egg mixture, beating after each addition until smooth; continue until all are added and stop a couple of times to scrape inside of bowl.
- 5. Pour batter into prepared pan and set in oven. Immediately turn down heat to 350°. Bake until cake pulls away from pan and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes.
- 6. Cool on a rack 15 minutes, then loosen cake from pan with a knife. Turn out onto a plate, remove parchment, and carefully flip cake back onto rack. Let cool completely.
- Make ahead: Up to 2 days, wrapped airtight.
Total time includes 1 hour to cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note