Olive Oil-Braised Eggplant with Fresh Tomato and Pomegranate Sauce
Photo: Jean Allsopp
Yield: Makes 8 servings
- 2 (1-pound) eggplants
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh Tomato and Pomegranate Sauce
- Garnish: fresh dill sprigs, fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cut top and bottom off each eggplant. Peel each eggplant lengthwise with a vegetable peeler, leaving long purple stripes. Cut eggplants crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices.
- Line a large baking sheet with paper towels; sprinkle 1 tablespoon salt evenly over paper towels. Place eggplant slices on salt-covered paper towels. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons salt over eggplant slices. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Remove eggplants to a colander, rinse well, and pat dry with paper towels. Place eggplants on a clean baking sheet, drizzle evenly with olive oil, and sprinkle with pepper. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until eggplant slices are very tender but still holding their shape. Serve with Fresh Tomato and Pomegranate Sauce. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This