- 1 (3 1/2-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up
- 1 (1-pound) meaty soup bone
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 hot red pepper pod
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen butter beans
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen cut okra
- 2 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 12 ears fresh yellow corn, cut from cob
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
How to Make It
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove chicken and soup bone from broth; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones; chop meat into bite-size pieces. Discard bones and red pepper pod.
Return meat to broth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer an additional 30 minutes.
Ladle stew into individual soup bowls. Serve hot with cornbread, if desired.