- 8 skinned, bone-in chicken thighs (about 4 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 cups Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 2 anchovies, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Semolina Polenta
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
How to Make It
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
Cook chicken, in batches, in 2 Tbsp. hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate, and wipe Dutch oven clean.
Add remaining 2 Tbsp. oil to Dutch oven, and heat over medium heat. Add mushrooms and next 4 ingredients, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Return chicken to Dutch oven, and add wine and next 3 ingredients.
Bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 11/2 hours or until meat is tender enough to fall off the bone, basting chicken occasionally with liquid in Dutch oven. Remove and discard bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over Semolina Polenta; sprinkle with parsley just before serving.