Old-Fashioned Tea Cakes
- 1 cup lard
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- About 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Combine lard and sugar; beat well. Add eggs, beating well.
- Dissolve baking powder and soda in buttermilk; stir well. Add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in vanilla. Gradually add enough flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Divide dough in half, and chill at least 20 minutes.
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut with a 3-inch cookie cutter. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned; transfer to wire racks, and let cool completely.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note