Old-Fashioned Pumpkin Pie
This recipe uses freshly cooked pumpkin and light cream instead of evaported milk. It is much richer than the more common recipes.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup(s) white sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cardamon
- 3 whole(s) eggs
- 1 1/2 cup(s) pumpkin pulp puree from sugar pumpkin or canned
- 1 1/2 cup(s) light cream or 12oz evaporated milk
- 1 single layer pie crust
- * To make pumpkin purée from a sugar pumpkin: start with a small-medium sugar pumpkin, cut out the stem and scrape out the insides, discard (save the seeds, of course). Cut the pumpkin in half and lay cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet lined with silpat or aluminum foil. Bake at 350°F until fork tender, about an hour to an hour and a half. Remove from oven, let cool, scoop out the pulp. (Alternatively you can cut the pumpkin into sections and steam in a saucepan with a couple inches of water at the bottom, until soft.) If you want the pulp to be extra smooth, put it through a food mill or chinois.
- 1 Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2 Mix first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Beat the eggs and add to the bowl. Stir in the pumpkin purée and cream. Whisk all together until well blended.
- 3 Pour into pie shell and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes reduce the temperature to 350°F. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 4 Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours.
- Serve with whipped cream.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ReblSouza and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note