- Pastry for 1 double-crust (9-inch) pie
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 9 cups peeled, cored, and sliced pears
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg white, beaten
How to Make It
Roll half of pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Set aside.
Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add pears, tossing gently to coat. Spoon into pastry shell.
Combine remaining sugar, flour, butter, brandy, and lemon juice; mix well. Spoon over pear mixture.
Roll remaining pastry to 1/8- inch thickness; cut into 1/2-inchwide strips, and arrange in a lattice fashion over filling. Trim edges; seal and flute. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes. Brush pastry with egg white, and continue baking 5 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.