Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Honey Apple Cake
Community Recipe from
- 1 cup(s) quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup(s) hot water
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 oz.)
- 2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 1/3 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) chunky applesauce
- 1/3 cup(s) honey
- 2 large eggs
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup(s) butter (for frosting)
- 1/3 cup(s) packed light brown sugar (for frosting)
- 1/4 cup(s) honey (for frosting)
- 1/2 cup(s) coarsely chopped almonds (for frosting) toasted
- 1 cup(s) frozen fat-free whipped topping thawed
- Optional: ground cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. To prepare cake, combine oats and 1 cup hot water in a small bowl; set aside.
- 3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Combine 1 1/3 cups sugar, applesauce, 1/3 cup honey, and eggs in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed for 1 minute. Add oat mixture; beat at low speed until well blended. Add half of flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat well. Add remaining flour mixture; beat well. Spoon batter into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 48 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Place dish on a wire rack.
- 4. To prepare frosting, melt butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of honey; cook 2 minutes or until bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in almonds. Quickly pour frosting over cake; spread evenly using a rubber spatula.
- 5. Preheat broiler.
- 6. Broil cake 1 minute or until frosting is bubbly and golden. Cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with whipped topping; sprinkle with ground cinnamon, if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JenGor and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Honey Apple Cake Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Cakes/Frostings
More Recipes for Main Dishes