I made this yesterday for a little tea party and got rave reviews. It is better than the one I had used for years so will replace it.
Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cake
More From Southern Living
Stand: 20 Minutes
Bake: 30 Minutes
Broil: 5 Minutes
Cool: 4 Hours
- 1 cup uncooked regular oats
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Brown Sugar-Pecan Topping or
- Brown Sugar-Walnut Topping
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place oats and butter in bowl of an electric mixer. Pour 1 1/4 cups boiling water over oat mixture; cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- 2. Stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- 3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, to oat mixture, beating at medium speed just until blended after each addition. Gradually add sugars, beating just until blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating just until blended. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13- x 9-inch pan.
- 4. Bake for 26 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. (Cake will begin to pull away from sides of pan.) Remove cake from oven; increase oven temperature to broil.
- 5. Spoon Brown Sugar-Pecan or Brown Sugar-Walnut Topping onto warm cake. Gently spread topping over cake using back of a spoon.
- 6. Broil cake 3 inches from heat 3 to 5 minutes or until sugar is bubbly and lightly browned. Let cake cool completely (about 3 to 4 hours).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note