Old-Fashioned Kentucky Burgoo
Yield: about 3 1/2 quarts
- 1 (4-pound) stewing hen, quartered
- 1 pound pork shank
- 1 pound veal shank
- 1 pound beef shank
- 1 gallon water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, scraped and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced okra
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup lima beans
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 red pepper pod
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Combine chicken, pork, veal, beef, and water in a large stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from broth; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones, discarding bones. Coarsely chop meat, and set aside.
- Skim off, and discard fat from surface of broth. Add meat and remaining ingredients to broth in stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Discard pepper pod.
- Ladle stew into individual serving bowls; serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews