- 1 (4-pound) stewing hen, quartered
- 1 pound pork shank
- 1 pound veal shank
- 1 pound beef shank
- 1 gallon water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, scraped and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced okra
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup lima beans
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 red pepper pod
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
How to Make It
Combine chicken, pork, veal, beef, and water in a large stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove meat from broth; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones, discarding bones. Coarsely chop meat, and set aside.
Skim off, and discard fat from surface of broth. Add meat and remaining ingredients to broth in stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Discard pepper pod.
Ladle stew into individual serving bowls; serve hot.