Easy to make, and rose to a nice, fluffy height. Excellent with a cup of hot tea!
To garnish, sift powdered sugar over the top or dollop squares with whipped cream.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 square)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 173
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Carbohydrate: 32.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 253mg
- Calcium: 89mg
- 11.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1 (4-ounce) container unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through cloves) in a bowl, stirring well.
- 3. Combine sugar, oil, and egg in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Stir in molasses and applesauce.
- 4. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to egg mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spoon batter into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 5. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Cut into squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Gifts, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Winter, Christmas, Thanksgiving
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Desserts