Old Fashioned Fruitcake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons brandy flavoring
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ready mix candied fruit
- 1 pound seedless raisins
- 3/4 pound candied pineapple
- 3/4 pound whole candied cherries
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Garnish: light corn syrup and pecan halves
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and eggs with an electric mixer until fluffy, adding eggs one at a time until yolk dissapears. Stir in flavoring.
- Sift together next 4 ingredients and mix thoroughly with butter and egg mixture. Work the fruit and nuts into batter with hands. Grease and flour a 19" tube pan.
- Fill pan 2/3 full with batter. Bake at 275° for 3 hours. One-half hour before cake is done, brush top with corn syrup. Decorate with pecan halves and finish baking. Cool. If desired, place cake, wrapped in a wine-soaked cloth, in an airtight container. Store in a cool place for several weeks; this blends and mellows the cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings