Holy sugar-rush, Batman! I contemplated doubling the icing recipe, like several others suggested, but I'm glad I didn't! If you get it on while it is still warm and slightly runny, and work quickly, what is stated in the recipe is just enough fill and cover the cake. The cake was delicious, and so moist. All together, it was a great cake, and I will be making this, often; just need to make sure there is a cup of fresh coffee, or tall glass of cold milk to go with it!
Old-Fashioned Caramel Layer Cake
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 307
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Carbohydrate: 56.7g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 251mg
- Calcium: 97mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 2 teaspoons light-colored corn syrup
- Dash of salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Beat granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs and egg white, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Lightly spoon 2 1/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt; stir well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with 1 1/4 cups milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, and sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Carefully peel off wax paper; cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, combine brown sugar and next 4 ingredients (brown sugar through salt) in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer until thick (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla; beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth and slightly warm. Cool 2 to 3 minutes (frosting will be thin but thickens as it cools).
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spoon 1/2 cup frosting on to cake layer spreading to cover. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts