OLD FASHIONED BEEF STEW
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pound stew beef
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (32-ounce) containers beef stock / broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 bag of baby carrots
- 2 baking potatoes, cubed
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 navel orange juice and zest
- 8 Tablespoons water
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup or stock pot over a medium-high heat. Add meat and brown until cooked through. Add beef stock, Worcestershire Sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, ground cloves and orange zest . Cover and simmer 2 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves. Add carrots, celery, and potatoes. Cover and cook an additional 30 to 40 minutes. Add Orange juice and stir
- To thicken gravy, mix cornstarch and water until smooth. Pour into stew and stir. Allow to boil until sauce begins to thicken. Serve immediately.
- CROCKPOT version: After browning the meat, add all remaining ingredients except orange juice, cornstarch and water. Cook on high heat for about 8 hours or until veggies are tender. Mix juice, water and cornstarch, and then add to the crockpot. Let stand on high until stew thickens a bit
This recipe is a personal recipe added by affj1159 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
OLD FASHIONED BEEF STEW Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews